Monday, July 20, 2009

Life is a Carnival


My first week here, on my first trip to the night market to get dinner I commented that "life is a carnival". Walking through the street I was immediately taken to the South Carolina State Fair. It genuinely feels like a carnival here. Balloons, music, live animal smells, fried food... you get the idea. Dun (french guy) didn't get my reference to The Band or a carnival and instead he kinda gave me a blank stare. So I dropped it and moved on to listening to him complain about wine or cheese or something like that. Anyway, moving forward six months, this weekend Gianyar had a carnival. No change. The "carnival" was basically moving everything from the night market street and moving it two blocks over to the soccer field. Still nobody picked up on it trick the place was packed with at least five times as many people as normal, for the exact same thing. Needless to say I drank the cool-aid, ate some pop-corn and hopped on the merry-go-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment